Have you ever heard about an offset smoker?
As you may know, an offset smoker is an appliance inside your kitchen that can help you grill and roast food. This magnificent construction will help to ensure a perfect barbeque party with the traditional method of separate chambers.
However, choosing the right offset smoker is not an easy task, but I will simplify the process.
Best Offset Smoker On The Current Market Reviews
- Best Offset Smoker On The Current Market Reviews
- 1. Dyna-Glo DGO1176BDC-D Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker
- 2. Char-Broil American Gourmet Offset Smoker
- 3. Dyna-Glo Signature Series DGSS1382VCS-D
- 4. Oklahoma Joe’s Longhorn Reverse Flow Smoker
- 5. Oklahoma Joe’s Highland Reverse Flow Smoker
- 6. Oklahoma Joe’s Highland Offset Smoker
- 7. Royal Gourmet BBQ Charcoal Grill with Offset Smoker
- 8. Dyna-Glo Signature Series DGSS962CBO-D Barrel Charcoal Grill & Side Firebox
- 9. Char-Griller 1224 Smokin Pro 830 Square Inch Charcoal Grill with Side Fire Box
- 10. Char-Broil Oklahoma Joe’s Bandera Smoker and Grill
- Type of Offset Smoker
- Pros and Cons of Using the Offset Smoker
- How to Choose the Offset Smoker
- How to Start and Maintain the Fire for the Offset Smoker
1. Dyna-Glo DGO1176BDC-D Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker
First of all, I will introduce a reliable and outstanding brand. Dyna-Glo DGO1176BDC-D is very simple and easy to use. If you intend to prepare the meal for a small number of people, this one will be a perfect choice.
After using this item for a while, I realized that it could have the best performance when grilling small portions of meat. However, in case you need to serve a more significant number of people and grilling larger pieces, this smoker can still meet your expectations.
Regardless of your age and experience, you can use this smoker comfortably and quickly. It has a total of six wire racks, which are very flexible and portable. As a consequence, it takes you little time to remove these components and clean them.
Moreover, this design will impress you by its ability to keep the heat as well as control the temperature. With the simple design, the heat can go up very fast without much effort. Hence, you can cook the meal quickly and entirely for your family.
- Simple design for outdoor purpose
- Able to grill up to 150 pounds of food at one time
- Include a separate chamber to reduce the smoke
- Suitable for people of all skills
- No wheels in the smoker, so it is difficult to move it by hands
- There are no shelves for laying and restoring the ingredients
2. Char-Broil American Gourmet Offset Smoker
Secondly, I am going to discover some excellent features from Char-Broil American Gourmet Offset Smoker. In particular, you can have it as the offset smoker, the griller, as well as the BBQ roaster. Furthermore, I am amazed at its meager price since it is designed for various purposes.
Besides, you can quickly move this smoker by hands around your house because it has two wheels, which are attached to the chambers right side. Also, the cooking space is about 290″ square that can support the most considerable capability of any parties.
More importantly, this model is produced in black steel. Thus, it brings an immaculate and professional feel to any customers. Also, I love its elegant and delicate design suitable for your garden and kitchen.
Thanks to the indirect cooking, this item allows all smokes to go through the cooking smoke. Thus, you do not have to worry about the uncomfortable feeling after grilling or roasting with this offset smoker. Lastly, I have to say that it is very durable and sturdy so that you can use it for an extended period before any replacement.
- The fire grate is easy to adjust
- Easy to clean
- Durable and sturdy
- Meager price with multiple uses
- Have an ample cooking space which is about 290’’ square
- 820 sq. cooking space for two large chickens and more items at once
- Spend much time for the setup since it is quite heavy
3. Dyna-Glo Signature Series DGSS1382VCS-D
The third option on this list is another product from Dyna-Glo. It is the Signature Series DGSS1382VCS-D Heavy-Duty Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker & Grill. Well, if you are a big fan of grilled and smoked food, this item will be a perfect fit for you.
The outstanding point of this vertical offset smoker is the cooking grates. It has five cooking grates in total so that you can use up to 1,382-square of the space. If you want some unique cooking regarding the sausages, there are several chrome sausage hook available for your needs.
Furthermore, Dyna-Glo will offer you professional grade temperature grates. And of course, this element has a significant ability to assist you in controlling the temperature. Hence, you can determine the best temperature to deliver the best smoke flavor for your food.
Besides, it is very stable with a substantial body made of quality steel. Other good points are the door and the lid handle, which are both heat resistant. As a consequence, you can have the utmost safety and security when using this product.
- Broad and convenient cooking space with five cooking grates
- Offset grill cooking space is present
- Sturdy and durable steel body
- Removable charcoal grates and ash pan
- The body’s steel is not very thick
- The thin layer of steel makes the whole construction hard to retain the steady temperature
4. Oklahoma Joe’s Longhorn Reverse Flow Smoker
Next, Oklahoma Joe’s Longhorn Reverse Flow Smoker is a brand name that you cannot ignore when discussing the best offset smoker. For the cooking area, you can have a total of 1060-square inches. So, it is quite spacious and comfortable for any family.
Moreover, this product will provide a warming tray for you. This point is more distinguishable and unique than the other items in this industry. This fantastic tray is ideal for heating the beans and meat sauce.
Furthermore, Oklahoma Joe’s Longhorn Reverse Flow Smoker gives you a combination of the vertical smokestack and the dampers. These factors will let you have full control over the temperature of the heat on your hand.
A unique thing about Oklahoma Joe’s Longhorn Reverse Flow Smoker is the ability to transfer from the traditional offset to the reverse flow and vice versa. Hence, you have more chances and options for your entire meal.
- The cooking surface is about 1,060-square inches
- Includes the main chamber and the firebox chamber
- You can change between the vertical smokestack and the damper
- Easy to remove the ash after cooking thanks to the clean-out door
- The cooking grates are covered with high-standard porcelain
- Get control over the heat
- Pretty heavy to lift the chambers and assemble the whole item
- The paint is easy to peel off
5. Oklahoma Joe’s Highland Reverse Flow Smoker
Going to the other product, you will be amazed at Oklahoma Joe’s Highland Reverse Flow Smoker. Recently, it has gained much reputation for being one of the most friendly-budget reverse flow smokers.
It consists of the 900-square inches of space when you attach the firebox chamber. Besides, the provision of 4 baffles will guide your temperature and smoke control. Also, these baffles are easy to take out and set up at the first stage.
Regardless of your age and your experience, you can have the full ability to use this product. I do not take much time to get familiar with the setup and usage. All in all, this product deserves your choice, and you will have the best taste afterward.
Another great feature is the firebox. This component will give you a large basket that is made of stainless steel. Moreover, it is not difficult to remove the remaining ash through the clean-out door with rapid steps.
- Be able to customize the setup
- Durable and sturdy building
- The painting is perfect, which avoids the peeling problem after using for a while
- Get the excellent control over the heat and the smoke
- The material is very great with the porcelain coating
- There will be a little smoke leaking, so I highly advise using the smoke sealers to prevent this problem
6. Oklahoma Joe’s Highland Offset Smoker
When mentioning about the offset smoker, you cannot forget Oklahoma Joe’s Highland. It is an excellent choice if you are considering buying the offset smoker. The mixture of the smoker and the grill will satisfy your needs.
No matter you are a professional chef or the typical housewife, you can make use of this product. And well, the access doors, the dampers, along with the pit for wood chips, will support you. You have to remember to talk about the cooking space, which is very important to make any decision. Although you only have 619-square inches, you will be provided three cooking grates.
In my case, I can cook for about a maximum of 8 people when using this smoker. Besides, you can take advantage of the storage area at the bottom of the smoker. It is quite large where you can place any used or unused tools.
Also, the side door on the firebox is a cool attachment. This smart design will help you get out of the ashes without much effort. The plated handle is also very outstanding, which does not get heated during your smoking or grilling process.
- The main cooking chamber includes 619-square inches
- The access door will help you easy to put more charcoal and fuel
- Be able to organize many necessary tools in the front work shelf
- Deliver tender temperature and great taste for BBQ grill
- The assembly process is quite heavy
7. Royal Gourmet BBQ Charcoal Grill with Offset Smoker
Another fantastic product that will maximize your satisfaction is from Royal Gourmet. It can work well as the charcoal grill and the offset smoker. Hence, you can make full use of these two cooking styles.
Royal Gourmet BBQ Charcoal Grill with Offset Smoker has the shape of the barrel, so it is very easy to stand alone. Furthermore, you can use charcoal as the fuel for your cooking. Besides, the charcoal grill is made of outstanding steel and iron. As a consequence, you can believe in the quality of this product.
After having some experience using this product, I know that you will need a place to store your cooking tools. And this model will satisfy your needs. There is a mesh front shelf to put your necessary items.
Also, I am very interested in the offset smoker since you can make very delicious side dishes or marinate. Therefore, your meat will have the best taste in the end. At last, this offset smoker offers you 420-square inches for the traditional cooking area and 180-square inches for the offset warming.
- The paint is very high quality, so it is not easy to flake
- A strong connection between the main chamber and the side smoker
- The lid is heavy duty and sturdy
- The air will flow better thanks to the adjustable damper
- The cover is quite heavy for the aged people
8. Dyna-Glo Signature Series DGSS962CBO-D Barrel Charcoal Grill & Side Firebox
Going to the eighth choice, I will describe Dyna-Glo Signature Series DGSS962CBO-D Barrel Charcoal Grill & Side Firebox. By using this one, you can expand your cooking area with its primary and offset cooking area. The first surface is about 675-square inches, and the offset cooking is about 287-square inches. Thus, you can use up to 962-square inches for the total cooking area.
Besides, the whole design is made of steel so that you can use it for a long time. Moreover, I like the spring lid handle, which will remain calm even though you re grilling. As a result, you will not have any accidents regarding the burns or the bruises. Furthermore, you can easily remove the charcoal grate and the ash pan.
And that is why you can put more fuel in this offset smoker with ease. You can dispose of the remaining ashes very quickly and conveniently. With no doubt, the porcelain cooking grates will support you to have the maximum heating. So, why don’t you try this beautiful item immediately and diversify your cooking options?
- Great cooking space with the primary and offset area
- The lid handle can remain cool anytime
- Easy to add the fuel with the design of removable charcoal grate
- Quickly take out all the ashes with the ash pan
- The door between the firebox and the main chamber does not seal properly
- Smaller cooking capacity than other brands
9. Char-Griller 1224 Smokin Pro 830 Square Inch Charcoal Grill with Side Fire Box
The next option for the best offset smoker will belong to Char-Griller 1224 Smokin Pro 830 Square Inch Charcoal Grill with Side Fire Box. This product is a good deal if you are looking for an affordable and high-quality smoker.
If you notice, this model has a wood handle, which is different from other products. The whole construction is very durable and stable. However, it is very light and easy to move around your house. So, it is very convenient to have this one in your home.
Furthermore, Char-Griller 1224 Smokin Pro offers you two storage racks. There is an additional rack which is inside the cooking chamber. This part is beneficial since you can keep the food there. The menu will remain warm and tasty.
The built-in thermometer is very professional that can make your cooking easier. Besides, this product is lovely at the technical service since they offer you 1-year of warranty. As a consequence, whenever you have any technical problems, the company will give you the best service.
- Quite affordable
- The cooking space is quite large
- Convenient storage with two racks
- The ashtray is removable and easy to clean
- The built-in thermometer makes your cooking easier
- The fire grate is adjustable, which helps you control the temperature better
- The cooking grates are made of cast iron that can have rust
10. Char-Broil Oklahoma Joe’s Bandera Smoker and Grill
Last but not least, I will come with Char-Broil Oklahoma Joe’s Bandera Smoker and Grill to end this list. This product is perfect for anyone who wants to have a massive BBQ party at home. It has plenty of room for cooking the meat and plenty of storage space.
There is a total of 992-square inches for the cooking space. Moreover, you can have 254-square inches for the grill chamber as well as 738-square inches for the smoker part. Thanks to these points, you can make all kinds of BBQ, including the rack of ribs and the thick pork.
Also, this model has a convenient tray in front of the smoker and the storage platform under the chamber. They will help you to put the extra charcoal as well as the necessary seasonings for the meat.
Also, the design looks very clean and beautiful, so you can put it anywhere in your house. Furthermore, you do not need to use much strength to move this model around your home. Char-Broil Oklahoma Joe’s Bandera Smoker and Grill are designed with two wheels on the bottom. They will support you whenever you want to change the position of this vertical smoker.
- There are two wheels to help you move it easily
- The cooking space is very great
- Plenty of space for the grill chamber and the smoker
- Suitable for a big party
- The storage spaces are convenient
- High quality and standard
- Quite expensive
Type of Offset Smoker
When it comes to the types of offset smoker, there are two main categories that you should know, including the traditional and the reverse flow. Two of them share some similar characteristics, but they also have some unique and different elements from each other.
Traditional offset smoker
The first model that I am going to introduce is the regular offset smoker. Royal Gourmet BBQ Charcoal Grill with Offset Smoker is one of the examples of this model. In this type of smoker, the cooking chamber is attached very firmly to the firebox. Therefore, the heat is not the same for all of the spots, which can lead to uneven cooking.
As a result, if you are using the traditional offset smoker, you need to rotate the food at the right time. Otherwise, you can change the position of the menu regularly. By doing this, you can prevent this issue correctly. However, this point is suitable for anyone who aims to cook multiple types of meat at the same time.
You will need to use a different temperature for a different meat so that you can take advantage of this factor. Moreover, another point that can help you realize the traditional offset smoker is the chimney. It will be placed on the furthest from the firebox.
The second type of offset smoker that you need to know is the reverse flow. And Oklahoma Joe’s Longhorn Reverse Flow Smoker is a great sample. This smoker contains a steel baffle plate inside the cooking chamber. As a consequence, the heat will go under the cooking surface before transfer the heat to the food.
In this way, the heat does not directly pass its hottest to the meat. However, I realize that cooking meat with reverse flow will need more time since it does not have any hot spots to speed up the smoking process.
As I mentioned before, you can look at the chimney position to differentiate the traditional offset smoker and the reverse flow. Opposite to the traditional ones, the chimney of the reverse current is very close to the firebox. Hence, the smoke will be circulated inside the cooking chamber before the ventilation.
Pros and Cons of Using the Offset Smoker
- Produce the tasty grilled and smoked meat
- Cook for many people and different types of food at the same time
- Add more fuel sources without opening the lid of the cooking chamber
- Affordable for most families
- Offers multiple functions such as grilling
- Easy to clean up
- Starting the fire will take some time
- New users will need some time to get familiar with using this smoker
- Cold and wet weather may affect the cooking
- Some models are quite heavy and hard to move around
How to Choose the Offset Smoker
I have bought several offset smokers before, and I used to struggle a lot to find the most suitable one. So, I know that many people are in the same case as me. Thus, I am going to show you some significant factors to choose the right offset smoker for yourself.
Quality of offset smoker
You had better take notice of the quality of smoker regarding what the primary material of smoker is made from. Offset smoker should be built from gauge steel, which is quite heavy and solid. Besides, an offset smoker should have wheels so that it can be more portable and stable during the use.
You should make sure that the cover of the offset smoker is sealed well to prevent the heat from escaping during your cooking and maintaining the maximum temperature for your meat to be cooked properly.
Please check the lid between two chambers and see whether they are tight to each other. If they are not, you should think about selecting others or buying a new one.
People tend to enjoy grilled meat or BBQ outdoors on long day camping trips. So, if you are in the same position, you should consider an offset smoker, which is easy to set up and remove parts separately. You never want your smoker to be always a sizeable robust chamber and occupies a substantial room in your RV car to the traveling destinations.
Ease of Use
One of the most critical factors you should pay attention to when deciding to buy an offset smoker is whether the smoker is convenient and easy for you to do the washing. Most of the large horizontal offset smokers require a lot of work to get them clean. With all meat fat and oil sticking tightly to the shelves, you inevitably take a whole lot of time and effort to handle. This is the part that you often feel lazy about.
Therefore, you should make sure that shelves in the chamber can be removed from the smoker so that you might use hot water to wash them up.
Size of the smoker
If you plan to smoke at large get-togethers, a large horizontal and professional offset smoker is a must-have. Such a smoker is perfectly suitable for grilling and roasting a large amount of meat. In the contrast, if you are in a smaller size family, you should consider a more practical one depending on use frequency and easiness to clean.
One of the main factors to consider purchasing an offset smoker is the capability to retain heat and maintain a stable temperature. You don’t expect your raw fresh meat to be overcooked or undercooked. You also don’t want to stand beside the smoker all the time to watch out your meat.
As a result, an offset smoker with a perfectly sealed steel lid shall be a good tip for you to notice in the first place. After that, you had better ask the salesperson carefully about the feature of the temperature controlling and how to use the offset smoker in a proper way following the instruction from the smoker manufacturer.
Technical features should equip you with basic knowledge on how to use the offset smoker in the right way ranging from starting the smoker to cleaning it so that your smoker can be used to its most extended useful life.
People are often lazy about reading usage instruction, thereby ending up wrongly working on the smoker. As a consequence, the smoker is not operating to its full blast.
Depending on the brand names of smoker producers, types (for amateur or professional purposes), and size of the smoker, the price is differentiated. An offset smoker doesn’t cost you much for family use or a small get together, which is around 75 US dollars and up to 150 US dollars.
However, it is not a surprise if you see an offset smoker at a price of hundreds of US dollars. If you choose it, you surely have a more reliable and higher quality one with more technical functions and other useful attached features.
How to Start and Maintain the Fire for the Offset Smoker
After buying an offset smoker, do you identify the steps to start and maintain the fire for your cooking? If not, I will tell you right now. At first, you need to prepare the fire starter as well as the chimney full of briquettes. Then, you need to put the chimney on the fire in about 20 minutes.
After that, you can put the briquettes into the firebox of the offset smoker. Remember to put them on the backside of the firebox. This will give you the clean hot base of your fire, and you can retain the heat better.
When the charcoal comes up to the temperature, you can put two split dry logs to preheat on the front side. After a while, you can put these logs on the fire so that they can attain the desired temperature. By doing this, you can preheat the logs before putting them into the fire. The reason is that the warmed logs will combust faster and better.
At this stage ensure you open the vent fully so that the firebox will get the most amount of air. Also, if you see the very thin-colored smoke, your cooking is going to be great. On the other hand, if there is white and puffy smoke, it means that you do not have enough oxygen to your fire. To solve this problem, you can open it up to and give it as much oxygen as possible.
As soon as you reach the temperature of 250 degrees, you should close the door and open 1/3 of the butterfly. Sometimes, you need to have a look at the fire to check whether you need to add more logs or roll the log over the fire. This will help them to burn better and get better airflow during your cooking.
Another tip that I want to share is that if there is a drop in temperature, you need to put another piece of log into the firebox immediately. Besides, you should not open the cooking chamber since it will lose heat very fast. By following my tips, you can maintain the fire very well until you complete your cooking.